Taught by Andrea Jarrell, Language Arts/5 – This course is the intoductory course for learners entering their educational career through school. Learners will be taught in the fundamentals of the Bible having an opportunity to engage and grow their own faith. The Bible is fundamental and foundational for life and for the learner. Bible is taught as a subject and will give grade level appropriate instruction. The teacher is the living model for Christ and the character, behavior, interactions, prayer, and attitude are all sourced and instructed from God’s Word and the goal is to model Christ Jesus.
In the 5th GRADE program as a whole, learners are instructed in BIBLE, as well as: reading, writing, communication, social development, phonics, letters and sounds. Additionally, instruction in enveloping young learners in art, music, social engagements, and specials designed to aide in an overall and balanced education platform. CBUA emphasizes a Christian Worldview and the Bible is integrated into all academic and supplement coursework.
Course Syllabus: LanguageArts/5
firstname.lastname@example.org (availability on request)
I. CBUA PROFESSOR(S) BIO
Andrea Jarrell serves as a faculty member for Colorado Biblical University Academy in Fort Morgan, CO. CBU Academy is an educational ministry of Colorado Biblical University. Andrea has been in education for 20 years teaching at the campuses of Riverview Christian School and Calvary transitioning to CBU Academy. Throughout her work in Christian Education, Andrea has taught elementary level students. Andrea has lived in the Fort Morgan area for 12 years. Additionally, her education pursuits include attaining her bachelor degree and teaching certificate.
II. COURSE DESCRIPTION
CBUA-LanguageArts/5 is a course within the 5th GRADE PROGRAM for learners in the 5th Grade level. This course will introduce students to the social dynamics of personal interactions in school, on the playground, and other environments. Learners will be taught behavior traits the are appropriate for social and personal interactions.
III. COURSE SUMMARY
Language Arts/5 contains the natural schema to teach and understand God the Creator through His Creation. Biblical applications and connections are fundamental. The Euclidean or Plane geometry contents will integrate triangle, quadrilateral, and circle dynamics teaching structural and conceptual properties. These properties including area, volume, similarity, and congruence. This course will connect the student to geometry in nature, architecture, and real-world connections exploring fractals, geometric symmetry, and transformations. The course prepares students for successful math progress while developing critical thinking skills and logic.
IV. LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs)
- To provide foundational geometric reasoning and logic that is a basis for critical thinking skills needed to move into higher math courses (Algebra 2 / College Algebra / Calculus
- To provide strategies to assess real life situations with reason and logic generated through understanding the processes and procedures of geometric proofs and theorems.
- To prepare learners to perform logic processing using proofs and theorems while applying critical thinking strategies to both real-world problems and geometric relationships.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- To equip Learners, as experienced educators and leaders, for individual, organizational, and system-level transformative leadership.
- To enhance Learners’ focus on the Biblical worldview-based theory, practice, and assessment.
- To prepare Learners for various special, diverse, innovative learning and leadership contexts.
- To produce Learners’ aptitude for multidimensional analysis, critical thought, and the synthesizing of transformative learning and leadership principles.
CBUA Learning Outcomes (CBUA LOs)
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Research – Learners will demonstrate ability to think critically, solve problems, and conduct interdisciplinary research at a level appropriate to their program.
- Personal Growth – Learners will understand how learning is related to personal growth, and will be challenged to grow in their thinking, communication, conduct, and engagement with others.
- Skills Development – Learners will advance in skills related to their area of learning, demonstrating a level of competency appropriate to their program.
- Social Responsibility – Learners will appreciate the diversity in and value of others as designed by our Creator, and will grow in willingness and capability to serve others.
- Worldview Applications – Learners will become capable at thinking from a worldview perspective and will understand the relationship of description and prescription, so that they can ground their actions in sound principles.
V. COURSE MATERIALS
- Required Texts:
- All CBU Academy courses use the Bible as a primary textbook. Translations used for coursework include any of the following: NASB, ESV, KJV, and NKJV. Other translations/versions may be used for complementary study and research.
- Abeka Curriculum
- Coursework Materials and Classroom Supplies – see Supply List/5
- SUPPLY LIST/5
VI. COURSE OUTLINE
- MODULE 1 – Unit 1 Part 1: Foundations / Unit 1 Part 2: Reasoning and Proof
- MODULE 2 – Unit 2: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- MODULE 3 – Unit 3: Congruent Triangles
- MODULE 4 – Unit 4: Relationships in Triangles
- MODULE 5 – Unit 5: Quadrilaterals
- MODULE 6 – Unit 6: Area
- MODULE 7 – Unit 7: Circles
- MODULE 8 – Unit 8: Surface Area and Volume
- MODULE 9 – Unit 9: Transformations and Symmetry
- MODULE 10 – Unit 10 – Part 1: Similarity / Unit 10 – Part 2: Introduction to Trigonometry
- Module Assessment (25 points each x 10) 250 Points (Video Presentations)
VII. COURSE GRADING CATEGORIES
- Assignments / 25%
- Skill Performance / 25%
- Participation / 25%
- Assessments / 25%
VIII. GRADING SCALE / Standards Based Grading
91-100% 4 Performance exceeds standard; consistently produces outstanding work independently
81-90% 3 Performance meets standard; produces quality w/ little to no teacher support. *1
71-80% 2 Performance is approaching standard; applies learned skills with some teacher support.
61-70% 1 Performance is below standard: needs frequent teacher support, re- teaching, practice **2
Below 60% 0 Performance does not meet standards to promote ***3
*1 Grade Level Expectation
**2 May require tutoring and/or summer school
***3 Cannot promote to next grade level
IX. CARNEGIE UNIT CREDIT HOURS
- Total Hours of Module Content: 20 hours
- Total Hours of Reading Content: 60 hours
- Total Hours of Minor Assessments: 20 hours
- Total Hours of Major Assessment: 20 hours
- Total Hours of Competency Assessment: 40 hours
Equivalent of 3 Credit Hour (160 hours of total course time)
Enrollment Agreement and Refund Policy
Colorado Biblical University Academy
914 State St., Fort Morgan, Colorado 80701 www.cbuacademy.com 970-743-3175
Program – 5th Grade – 6 Units
Course – CBUA – LanguageArts/5 – 1 Unit
Additional courses in Program Enrollment: Bible/5; History/5; LanguageArts/5; Math/5; Science/5; Reading/5; Writing/5; Art/E; Music/E; PE/E;
Thank you for enrolling in this course with Colorado Biblical University Academy. This is a program enrollment therefore the learner is enrolled into the 5th GRADE program which includes all of the courses for the learner in the 5th Grade year. The Parent of the Learner agrees to pay the amount for the program. Payment should be made immediately upon receiving this Enrollment Agreement. Failure to pay the amount reflected will result in failure to enroll or withdrawal from the courses enrolled.
Tuition: $2500 (Program Enrollment includes All courses)
Enrollment Fee: $350 per program
Total Program Cost: $2800 USD
Total cost includes textbooks, course materials, technology fee, and student services fee.
A supply list is available per program for those materials the learner is responsible for.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Colorado Biblical University Academy is committed to the highest level of service for its Learners. All subscriptions and tuition paid are fully refundable within 30 days of start of subscription or course. After 30 days, subscriptions and tuition paid are pro-rated.
Each CBUA course is structured for the school year beginning at first day of school or the date of enrollment. CBUA’s academic calendar is a 4 quarter, 2 semester school year and courses are full year with grade reporting at those intervals. The period of enrollment for this course (program) is a year August through May.